Friday 3 June 2016

Building a home for nature


For the last week and a half I've been sharing my home with a woolly bear caterpillar.



For most of that time he's been quite happy to shuffle around at the bottom of his habitat eating dandelion leaves, but I got home tonight to find him literally climbing the walls. At first I was pretty happy about this, seeing it as a possible indication that he'll shortly be starting his transformation. Then I started to get a bit concerned. He seemed to keep climbing up only to head straight down again, like he wasn't finding whatever it was he was looking for.

There were a few short twigs in there, but I decided that it was time to spruce up his habitat a bit.

A short evening walk to my local park yielded up a quantity of sticks of various shapes and sizes. I popped the Caterpillar carefully into a shoe box to keep him out of the way, and arranged the sticks into what I hoped would be a caterpillar pleasing arrangement.


So far he's gone straight back up the mesh side, but I'm hopeful that he'll find whatever he needs and my bear will soon become a tiger.


No comments:

Post a Comment